Lemme AXE you a question

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Jack
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Lemme AXE you a question

Post by Jack »

As long as you pick a good axe handle where the grain runs through and through in straight (roughly) parallel lines without coming out the sides i wouldnt worry about breaking an axe handle. At least not to the extent that I'd choose a tomahawk over an axe because its easier to replace said handle.
As much as I like hawks as toys an axe really does everything (that i'd use it for) better except maybe for wearing better in a belt.
In my experience axes split better (though not as good as splitting mauls obviously) and the extra weight helps them chop more efficiently than a tomahawk.
So for me I'd say axe though when I made my shepherds axe (completely different animal from both conventionsl axes and tomahawks) I based the axe head on a common mass produced tomahawk pattern BUT I scaled it up a bit to give it more weight for chopping (I'm told historically the real fokos/Valaška was lighter for combat and pictures seem to support that). Also I didnt taper the eye on a mandrel like a tomahawk's so that I could hang it like a conventional axe with a wedge on a longer beefier also un-tapered handle.
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Lemme AXE you a question

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Oh, are we doing axep0rn now?

I use a wooden wedge on new handles, if that loosens up at a later date I always have the option of a small transverse steel wedge...... But thats only if a soak in linseed oil doesn't fix it.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

Sullu iglukhul ya bark ra targ. (All is well with axe and beard.)

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar